Pages

Sunday 3 July 2011

Steps to Being a Better Miniature Painter – Part 5


How to Strip... Your Miniatures

So, I know that this post is a little out of the ordinary for me, and it does not seem to flow with the previous posts. I agree. The reason for this topic is that I was recently asked the question "how to I remove paint from my old/not well painted models safely and effectively?".  Therefore, I decided that this would be a great topic for todays blog.  Let me begin by telling you guys a little word that you may hear alot in your miniature painting life; "STRIPPING". Stripping is the process of removing paint from miniatures which are either not well painted, or chipped to the point of no return.  Stripping models is actually a really simple process, which requires only a few ingredients: 1) A jar, 2) Stripping Fluid, 3) A toothbrush and lastly, 4) A model.  There are many people out there who use some pretty serious chemicals to strip their models, such as battery fluid. I personally would recommend against using these chemicals, as they can be EXTREMELY HARSH to the model, your skin and your lungs.
Personally, I use a product called Simple Green. This concentrated cleaning solution can be found at any hardware store, or grocery store, it is safe on models, it is cheap, and IT WORKS!!! All you do is fill a jar with the concentrated cleaning solution, put in the models and wait a day. Then, remove the model, and (under warm running water) brush the model with the toothbrush. This should remove the paint from the model. If some paint refuses to come off, put the model back in the jar and wait a little longer (e.g. half a day or more). Here are a few rules though when stripping models:

1)   Use precautions:  Work in a well ventilated space, wear protective gloves, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards. DO NOT DRINK THE FLUID!!!!
2)   DO NOT USE SISTERS OR WIFE’S TOOTHBRUSH….. THEY WILL RESENT YOU FOR IT (trust me, I know…)
3)   Waiting times may vary. It will typically take longer to remove paint that has been ‘ard coated or varnished.
4)   If you leave metal models in the jar for too long, it will typically remove their metallic shininess, and leave them dull. This doesn’t really matter in the long run, but still. Something to take into consideration.
5)   Remember to rinse the model off thoroughly after stripping. If not, primer and paint will not stick to well to your model.


Well, that is all for me for the day. I will be posting a HOW TO PAINT A DEFF SKULL NOB tutorial in the near future. Hope you like it.

Sincerely,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment